Saturday, March 8, 2014

Granola Bars!

Tried making homemade granola bars tonight for the first time. They were not cheap to make (about $20 for the pan) but they are a lot cheaper than the individually wrapped fresh ones that Whole Foods has by the cash registers and Will has recently tried and really likes.

I looked around the internet today and looked and the ingredient list on the ones we have been buying and came up with my own recipe...they are in the fridge setting up now so I don't have a final outcome but what I have tasted was good!

Nutty Chewy Granola Bars
Dry Ingredients
1 cup Rolled Oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (hulled)
1/4 cup hemp seeds (hulled)
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (hulled)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup wheat bran
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
3/4 cup almonds (I left mine whole)
3/4 cup dried fruit (I used a mix of cherries, blueberries and cranberries)
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Combine the dry ingredients into a large bowl and set aside.

Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup honey (I used local wildflower honey)
1/4 cup coconut oil

Combine in small sauce pan and bring just to a boil. Cook at a very low boil for 4 minutes stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and mix is 1 tsp vanilla.

Pour over dry ingredients mixing in thoroughly. Pour mixture into a lined cookie sheet size pan and press into pan. I scored mine for cutting at this point then place the pan in the fridge to set up.


I will update this when they come out of the fridge!

Update- ok, so they taste great but are really sticky! I am thinking that next time I will reduce my golden syrup and honey a bit and maybe cook the syrup a bit longer. The will definitely be eaten and will be made again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages